Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cause I said so....

One last thought of the day.

First, I should make it clear that I am not a fan of the NBA since Jordan left the Bulls with his 6 rings in tow.  I just cant sit around and watch these overpaid whiners play basketball.  I have to know when it became legal to take 3 - and sometimes even 4 steps - without it being called a travel violation and if I played defense the way these guys play defense I would have been kicked off my junior varsity basketball team.  Its pretty pathetic.

With that being said, I think this years Finals is intriguing.  You have one of the greatest NON-clutch players in the history of the game going against one of the best up-and-coming players we have seen since, well, the aforementioned NON-clutch player.

Its @KingJames vs. @KDTrey5.  The King vs. the Kid.  The 3 time MVP vs the 3 time league scoring champ.  There are many side stories, but none as big as the team's two marquee players in search of their first ring.

I have said it before and I will say it again: 5 guys should be able to beat 3 guys on the hardwood.

I love to see young teams dominate.  Its fun.  Its why I watch sports.  I love to be able to watch the "next great thing." 

The Thunder are young, hungry, driven, and they do it rather quietly in a town that isn't known for its professional sports franchises, but rather their college football team.  They show up to press conferences with backpacks and retro glasses without lenses.  They show up to work without pouting, whining, crying, complaining, or holding out.  They don't shout their glory from mountains high or hold ticker tape parades BEFORE they ever get a chance to hoist a trophy.  They are just a team who does what they are paid to do.  They work together.  They practice hard and play harder.  They are young and unafraid.  They conquered a very experienced team with the NBA's best record and longest win streak in the Western Conf. Finals.  They win on the road and they are undefeated at home during the playoffs.  They pass the ball and they play defense.  Their coach looks more like a financial planner than an NBA coach.

OKC is an unbelievable college basketball team with NBA bank accounts and Bentleys.  They have an underrated coach who knows how to make adjustments and motivate his team.  They play the game the way it should be played and they do it with great energy in an aptly named building, Chesapeake Energy Arena.  They play with something the NBA is missing - HEART.

I will root wildly for the Thunder to quell the Heat.  I like the Thunder in 7 and I thought I would shout it from my chair upon the World Wide Web.

FIN

No comments:

Post a Comment